· SEWA Team Darts
    · Halex Envy
    · Blade 4
    · Laro Carbon Shaft
    · SightRight
    · Fit Flight soft tips
    · Fit shafts/Flights

Refuel
    Designed by yours truly. Made by the best! These are the darts I've played with since 2005!

Team SEWA :: View topic - 129 in 20s with THREE blanks
     Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

129 in 20s with THREE blanks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Team SEWA Forum Index -> Practice, Strategy & Technique
    View previous topic :: View next topic  
    kimber
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:42 pm    Post subject: 129 in 20s with THREE blanks Reply with quote

FFS. The form feels good....but the brain isn't keeping up. Seven 7-marks. But three turns with TOTAL lapses for zeros. Ended with 129....5 short of my record.

The 20s game is SO long. Really takes a lot of concentration. I didn't have it.

Oh well. Good practice today...and several good runs at records...but didn't quite get there.

Still, a good day of practice Smile.
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is long Wink but that was my point way back when.

I'd come back from the Oregon Open in 2003 or 2004 and was thinking about my performance and while I could muster some excellent darts and gave some of the best players a run for their money, I also had too many times where I missed important shots.

Wade Wilcox who was #12 in the US at the time made a comment to me that I thought strange at the time but I came to realize with truth later: it's not the triples that get you, it's the missed singles.

He was referring to cricket after our rather tough match (in which I lost to him). We'd gone back and forth and ran the points through the roof but in the end I missed one too many singles and he was able to edge me out.

Thinking about that I decided I wanted a way to calculate my percentages easily and track progress on both singles and doubles and 100@ was the way to go. It did a couple things:

1. Forced me to concentrate longer so I could be better ready to play longer matches. Best of 3 is too short and frankly silly for the top players. Best of 7 or 11 is much better and the best in the world play best of 'sets' and the sets are usually 7 legs.
    2. Allowed me to easily count my percentage of singles and triples hit. If I hit 136 and did it with 30 triples then I hit 30% trips (and I feel I should at least be able to hit 33%) and 46% singles. I hit 76% of the time overall which is miserable frankly! So, if I hit 30 triples (for 90 points) I really should hit close to 70 singles (yes I get that everyone misses but....).....

Anyway, that was my logic Smile If I'm hitting 76% it's ok but I feel I ought to be up around 85 to 90%
    kimber
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree...it's good practice. I almost never "blank" on 20s in a competitive match...which means I need to try to close the gap between practice and matches. I used to track my average vs. 50 rounds (150 darts) at 20s...so I should be able to keep it up Smile.

It's a good game. I'm happy to hit so many 140s and know I can fix the rest.

I saw somewhere else (maybe you reposted) John Part's comment about making it a 2 dimensional game. I'd already been working on that. I've felt for a long time that good mechanics can take care of the left/right... So if successful there (given that the 20 more than any other big number rewards l/r accuracy) that should also take care of getting most of the darts into the bed whether a single or triple (to your point).
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. I find that the more I throw the more I improve. It's kinda silly really but it's true for me.

5 180's today but all I can muster is 132 (twice)....but I KNOW I can hit 150+....one leg was 46 in 30, then 43 (so at 89 in 60 darts) but I dropped a bit and just couldn't break above 30 in the 3rd set of 30 darts taking me to 118 and then I hit 6, 4, 3 (trip with misses to the sides) and a 1. Had I just hit 40 something again I'd have hit 140something.

I've also thought of it this way: you need to hit above 4 20's per through on average to make it above 140. (4*33.33=133.32 and 140/33.33=4.2) so doing that math means you must hit 42 in every 30 darts to score 140 in 100@20's. The above game should easily have done that but I fell off for 30 darts and that's the rub. In a competition if you fall off for 30 darts you lose two games (and are out in a best of 3)......
    kimber
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm at almost exactly 4 mpr in this game right now...so I just keep track +/- vs. 4 mpr as my running total and know whether I'm tracking for a record or not. I was -12 at one point about 1/3 of the way through. (i.e 12 marks ahead of 4mpr pace to set a record). So pretty big tank from there not to get it. I guess I can just add it to the choke file Smile.
    kimber
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)
    SEWA Superuser (S-1)

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway, you keep putting up those numbers and you might do some damage in Seattle! Smile
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hoping to get my darts back for sure. 7 180's today and still no joy on the 100@20's runs. Usually hitting between 125 and 132 today.

Last one I hit two 180's in the first 30 darts (I keep track by writing down what I get in a row - going down -- until I have ten scores then start the next row so I can compare 30 dart runs) but only managed 39 so my consistency was off. I'm also hitting a LOT of T5's in there (had one 9 mark on the 5's at least today)...usually just on the left of the wire.

Perhaps like you though, I usually do much better in competition. I find it a lot harder to focus in practice and that I think is ok because it means I KNOW I can throw better than the scores I post (so too can many others).

My goal right now is to break 150 because frankly, in order to average 85+ in a tournament you need to be able to score 100+ before the out. I look at it this way: if you hit 100, 100, 100, 100 followed by 69 and then take out 32 in 3 (33% on the double) that's 18 darts for an average of 83.5ppt -- hit the out in one and it's 93.94ppt

Of course, if you can hit 140's all day long but can't hit the out you could still be at 80-90ppt at the end of the match if it takes you 18 darts (9 to get to 81 and 9 to take out 81)....know what I mean?

Points for show, doubles for dough! Very Happy
    Erik
    COMMANDANT
    COMMANDANT

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://twitter.com/TeamSEWA/status/875766146602983424
    Was having a little fun on twitter today posting my 180's Wink

I use the site to promote this one
    Post new topic   Reply to topic    Team SEWA Forum Index -> Practice, Strategy & Technique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: