· Laro Carbon Shaft
    · SightRight
    · Fit Flight soft tips
    · Fit shafts/Flights
    · LARO Shafts

Topsites

Our Visitors Map

Web Toolbar
    There isn't content right now for this block.

Alexa Tool Bar
    Get our toolbar!

Team SEWA :: View topic - 2013 Witch City Open - Oct 18-20 in Nashua, NH
     Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log inLog in 

2013 Witch City Open - Oct 18-20 in Nashua, NH

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Team SEWA Forum Index -> Tournaments and Competition
    View previous topic :: View next topic  
    GT
    SEWA Moderator (S-4)
    SEWA Moderator (S-4)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:01 am    Post subject: 2013 Witch City Open - Oct 18-20 in Nashua, NH Reply with quote

TOURNAMENT UPDATE!

August 20, 2013 - We've added a new dedicated flyer for youth events, see below to download. We are also proud to announce our new beer company sponsors and our official media partner, Tavern Player's Magazine! Please see the updated main flyer below.

Now back for the second event after a prolonged absence, the WCO is fast becoming one of the hottest dart tournaments on the national calendar.

WCO2013 was also awarded the ADO National US Cup Team competition as well as WDF Ranking for men's and women's singles events based on the professional performance and great attendance at the 2012 event, which should make for an even bigger event filled with top shots from North America and around the world.

Hope to see you there!

Click image below to download flyer.

For all the latest tourney news, visit the WCO facebook page - CLICK HERE

NEW YOUTH EVENTS FLYER

<br><br>Board of Directors,
    Minute Man Dart League, Inc.<br>World's Largest Steel Tip League<br>http://ww

Last edited by GT on Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:56 pm; edited 4 times in total
    DEREK
    SEWA Moderator (S-3)
    SEWA Moderator (S-3)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG...here we go again...MMDL in NH. Rolling Eyes

http://theglass.dartplayer.net
    http://twitter.com/d_ewellTheGlass
    joeb
    Dart Corporal
    Dart Corporal

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JUST WONDERING HOW MANY SOUTH SHORE PLAYERS WILL ATTEND THIS TIME
    TMOC
    WO-4 SEWA Ambassador
    WO-4 SEWA Ambassador

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be there, I'm just wondering if they will beleive us now when they're told to stock extra beer!
    AmericanBadAss
    Senior Moderator Team SEWA Original

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TMOC wrote:
    I'll be there, I'm just wondering if they will beleive us now when they're told to stock extra beer!

No worries, you can drink the ones they were saving for me Tommy..
    RIP Donnie Kelley..teammate, champion, and friend.
    Destruct
    DART SGT. MAJOR
    DART SGT. MAJOR

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gregg,

Geography lesson time!

There is civilization........

and then there's New Hampshire!

Hell, move it to Rhode Island next year!

Men play from the gold!
    GT
    SEWA Moderator (S-4)
    SEWA Moderator (S-4)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, if we could find a viable venue for this event in MA then that would obviously be our first choice. Heck, I'd love to be downtown on the waterfront or with a river view like at the Royal Sonesta Cambridge. I'd also like every tournament I attend to be three things: free, perfect and now. Unfortunately, I live in the real world. I know, what a bummer!

Chuck, you make Nashua sound like Idaho, have you ever been there? It's more like strip mall civilization than woods and farms.

Ok, business and economics lesson for those opposed to NH.

If the 2012 tournament had performed poorly, then a venue change would have been in order. However, it exceeded expectations and was subsequently awarded an ADO national competition and WDF ranking.

As it is, we are expecting a 10-15% increase in attendance, possibly more. Those who traveled from much farther than the South Shore of MA said the location was not an issue and that they like it quite a bit and will make plans to return. We had quite a few from the Cape area come up, they did not seem to have any issues with the location. Everyone who DID attend called it one of the best tournaments they've been to in a long time.

These are all reasons to keep it where it is. The only reasons I see to move it are two posts on this thread.

I am not going to rehash all of the economic tradeoffs that make this venue appropriate, they are all the same reasons as last year. Basically, this location allows us to offer nationally competitive prize monies and other features rather than spending it on accommodations-related expenses.

If this is too far for you to personally travel from Southern MA, apologies but we have to do what's best for the tournament as a whole and which maximizes attendance. We wish everyone could make it, but life ain't perfect. It is nice that you guys care enough to wish it was closer for you to be easier for you to attend.

So let's drop this NH b.s. already and celebrate the fact that MMDL now has one of the hottest events on the North American calendar. Chuck and Derek, if you both make the sacrificial long haul up through the briar patches and can get by the bridge trolls and their trivia questions, I'll buy each of you a beer next October.

So until a more favorable contractual agreement with a MA venue appears or the tournament suffers attendance setbacks, then NH looks like it for the foreseeable future. I suggest you get used to that reality, as unpleasant as it seems for you. 2014 is still wide open, so things could change if the right opportunity came along, so who knows? If you have leads, send them to Adam.

Chitown599
    Senior Moderator Team SuperUser Admiral

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great post Greg.
    2010/11 Fall S.A. State champions, Makin Treble
    Presently on Team Shrek, Thaaaaaat's right
    TMOC
    WO-4 SEWA Ambassador
    WO-4 SEWA Ambassador

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The location isn't an issue for me, I've travelled farther for worse events. This shouldn't be about the venue, it should ba about the event. The Witch City Open is back for another year and we should focus on that.

Great job guys!
    Rocky
    Senior Moderator
    Senior Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steven and I are considering making the trip down for this event. The youth events and the WDF youth event is what Stevens chasing this year here in canada...so an added event is a bonus. That's just after the World Cup here in canada so it would make for a nice extended holiday!
    DEREK
    SEWA Moderator (S-3)
    SEWA Moderator (S-3)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.K. First off...I did not say a thing about this event. Look back at my post. I simply stated "here we go again" forseeing more postings about how a Ma. league was holding its only big tourney in NH. I figured people would be writing in about it. That was 6 days ago and I was mistaken. It seems that knowone wrote in. So please do not drag me into this like I was slamming the league. But, since you chose to put my name in your post, like I was slamming the league, I will try to accommodate.

This, again, is a damn shame. I understand the fiscal reasons, and willingness to remain out of state. What I do not understand is the total lack of loyalty toward the areas that make up this league. MMDL is a Massachusetts League. The Witch City Open brings in a good dollar to the host area. Restaurants, package stores, the hotel itself, all see an economic benefit from the league holding a tournament. Yet every dollar is out of the state that supports this league week in and week out. I know my opinion is not a popular one, and I will get wripped by the mighty BOD for speaking up, but come on....common sense says that if a NH league finds it fiscally acceptable to host a tourney in Mass ( seacoast) why is it that a MA. based league can't seem to find suitable accomodations in our own state? I applaud the BOD for getting a tourney back in the rotation, have said it before. But, last year we were told, if the tourney was a success, a venue in Ma. would be the next step, and the goal was to bring it back to mass. where it belongs. Mysteriously the thread that was started back then, in the MMDL section, has been deleted from Sewa Rolling Eyes I know, as well as a few others both in the league and on here, that there are venues willing to deal with darts in this state. I was part of the search group for the NADC when they came to mass. We had several options, all within mass. and all willing to work with the darts organization. I would think that taking a little bit of prize money off, but holding the Flagship MMDL tourney in the state that birthed the league, would be an acceptable trade off. But who am I to voice my opinion? Locations that were actually in our state, should be a priority.

Bring on the BOD guys and butt kissers now, to tell me I do not understand!!!!!!! Do not disagree with the mighty BOD....do not state your opinion....just accept it at every turn. And greg, your sarcastic statement abouta "sacrificial" trip to this tourney....really, I have traveled probably farther than you ever have to tourneys. Flights, rental cars...it has nothing to do with the travel, and everything to do with the fact the league is a Mass. league and should hold its one and only open tourney in the state that supports it. Dont be a condescending wise ass when someone states their opinion. That is far too "old BOD" for you.

Chitown599

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek, nothing wrong with having an opinion, and it is a valid one. The thing is, I think the BOD is looking to save the dart players as much money as possible on Hotel room fees.
    There very well may be some Hotels in Ma that would accept a dart tournament, but what are they asking, as far as monetary benefits for hosting the tournament, as well as the cost of food and drinks.
    The venue in NH, I believe is pretty reasonable all around. I do think that the BOD will continue to look for a venue in Ma to move the W.C.O. to, but I think it would have to make sense first.
    While I share the same opinion as you, I also am glad to see this tournament back up and running. The venue location to me has to be secondary for now. Lets get it established once again, and then work on a Ma location. JMHO.
    2010/11 Fall S.A. State champions, Makin Treble
    Presently on Team Shrek, Thaaaaaat's right
    DEREK
    SEWA Moderator (S-3)
    SEWA Moderator (S-3)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank...I understand that money is an issue. But I am sure that the majority of shooters that are in the MMDL and that go to tourneys, would have no issue paying a couple bucks more here and there to have it hosted in their state. If the Seacoast can run a tourney so close to boston that is not an expensive one, why can't we? I do understand that being a new organization again, the hotels are less likely to give breaks and such. But, now that it is established in NH. The hotel will see the money come in, and want to see this thing stay put. Making it harder to justify moving it to mass financially. It never should have been in NH to begin with. I for one would like to know, after seeing it as a success last year, how much effort was put into trying to relocate it to mass? Or was it just accepted that NH went well, so lets leave it there? I don't know, thats why i am asking.
    I do think it is great that the MMDL has a large scale tourney back in the loop. It takes a lot of work to get going, that is for sure. I just think that the BOD pulled a Ray Finkle when it comes to keeping it local...and by local I mean in the state the league is in. No brainer there.

AmericanBadAss

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While I myself can't speak to what was done this year, I know that the first year considerable effort was made to get this in MA. The venues either didn't have the ability to do it logistically or wanted way more than the NH venue did. Our bargaining power was nonexistent as our data on rooms, food, beverage, etc was at least 10 years old and therefore outdated.

I know a few SS natives came all the way from the Cape, so it shows me that people will travel if they want to. While I don't do it for tournaments or darts in general like I once did, I've driven hours and hours to do things that I want to do such as the MMDL shoots, concerts, and whatnot.
    RIP Donnie Kelley..teammate, champion, and friend.
    Shannonmiles
    Go Navy Darter
    Go Navy Darter

PostPosted: Wed May 01, 2013 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is one of three events that have remained on my scaled back tournament attendance must goes. I had a great time last year and expect little change in that fact. Good job guys and see you in Nashua!

They say that Nero fiddled while Rome burned

Screws fall out all of the time, the world is an imperfect place. John Bender
    Destruct
    DART SGT. MAJOR
    DART SGT. MAJOR

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez, what the hell did I start!!! Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed

Gregg,

Just so you know. My comments weren't a complaint about the BOD. Its just that I did 4 years of college in that Purgatory known as New Hampshire.....

Its not about the league or anything else, I just don't like NH! Wink Wink Rolling Eyes

Men play from the gold!

Last edited by Destruct on Thu May 02, 2013 2:28 pm; edited 1 time in total
    GT
    SEWA Moderator (S-4)
    SEWA Moderator (S-4)

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This year's Seacoast is moving to Nashua, different hotel, I think. Maybe we started a trend.

I would love to have WCO or one like it in MA too, just to be clear. I do not do the site selection, but I support those who did and the reasons behind it.

GT
    SEWA Moderator (S-4)
    SEWA Moderator (S-4)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please see the original post above for the latest tournament updates posted today.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Team SEWA Forum Index -> Tournaments and Competition All times are GMT - 7 Hours
    Page 1 of 1

Jump to: